Friday, April 29, 2011

Smokin' Butt, refining the process with a little help from my friends...



The ritual starts the day before you smoke. You rinse, score, and rub.

The morning you're going to smoke let the pork come to room temp. I flauted food safety laws and left them in a cooler overnight with no refrigeration. I put them in the smoker at 220 at 5:45am. I let them smoke for 3-4 hours then started spraying with a mix of apple juice and cider vinegar.Per my friend Shawn's recommendation I didn't wrap them and I left the vent open at the top of the smoker. We were trying to get all of the fat to render while allowing the bark to cure to an appropriate texture that would allow us to mix it in with the meat. It adds a lot of flavor.

After letting them sit wrapped in foil for an hour we started pulling.The bark turned out just the way we were looking for it to. Nice. What's 40 pounds of butt between friends?




Big steaming smoky bowl of pork goodness. We got two of these from the 40 pounds. It was enough to feed us that night and provide bbq for my buddy's daughter's confirmation party.


Tracy and Amelia discussing the virtues of Oregon Pinot matched with dessert, which was strawberries sauteed in butter, brown sugar, balsamic and Grand Marnier over pound cake...

If you have questions about the cooking or comments, please feel free.....

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Good reading your posst