Saturday, November 22, 2008

Just because you read it in The Post doesn't mean it's true. Redwood Rocks.

Was anyone but me incensed with the review that ran for this restaurant in the Post? Please comment.
I'm not sure what happened there. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I have to say that I think Tom was wrong. Dead wrong.
I have yet to have a bad meal or service here. I've been at Redwood at least six times since they opened and I am speaking from personal experience.
Tonight was a standard example. I went to Redwood for dinner with my extended family. My son was a little sugar deficient at the beginning of the meal and was in the dumps. Ash, our server, went above and beyond to try to get him to a good spot. At the end of the dinner, my son was at the other end of the spectrum as far as his blood sugars goes, as you'll notice in the pictures.
We started out with a very nice bottle of red, some chicken liver mousse and a salad.
I forgot to snap pix of those and dug in.
Moving on we shared the following items:
The short-rib chili. Always good. Great comfort food on a cold night.

The Red Snapper. Served on a potato pancake. Nice sauce. The fish was done perfectly and was crisped.

The Cioppini. I hadn't seen this dish before and was impressed. It was much better than the version I used to serve at Legal Seafoods. The soup had just enough kick. The inclusion of the head-on shrimp is interesting and gave my son something fun to play with at the table.

The Whole Rockfish. This dish was the star of the meal as far as I was concerned. The fish was done perfectly. The herbs they had stuffed in it perfumed the flesh nicely without being over-powering.

As for the blood-sugar dilemma, I'd say we had it taken care of with the S'mores. Yes, that is melted chocolate all over his face.
All in all, I'd say that this restaurant is a great reason to not believe everything you read in the papers. Don't believe what you read on blogs either...check it out for yourself.


1 comment:

Cheryl Smelson said...

is that blood or sugar dripping from Alex's mouth? not so attractive!