Sunday, July 6, 2014

Central Farm Market Bethesda - Know where you food comes from!

Central Farm Market
Arlington Rd., Bethesda MD
Sundays from 9:00am to 1:00pm
http://www.centralfarmmarkets.com/


This is the Culinary Nomad truck. It was exactly what I was looking for when I walked into the Bethesda Central Farm Market on Sunday.
Cheryl, Alex and I headed there around 9:30 to get some breakfast and provisions. Luckily I saw breakfast first....always better to shop on a full stomach.
Here's a link to their website: http://www.culinarynomadeats.com
 I saw this and said, "Yes, please."
While I was waiting for my $7.00 delight I went across the lane to grab some fresh-squeezed OJ. 
 
 Upon my return to the truck I was handed a togo box that looked like a couple of runny eggs over a slice of toast. I was ready to be disappointed.
However, what I didn't realize was that the bread under this was some full-bodied, chewy Asiago loaf that had been griddled and covered with a generous helping of spicy chorizo, then topped with chipotle sauce...the eggs were covering everything. This is the kind of breakfast food I dream about. 
It had heat and chewy-cooked cheese covered in runny-yolked goodness. Now THAT was a breakfast. I ate it sitting in the back of the Liberty Delight Farms panel truck before I headed back into the crowd to do some shopping.
I had to stop back and inquire about the bread....here it is. Available from one of the other vendors at the market.

 My first stop after wiping the egg off my face....literally and figuratively, was my friend Farmer Shane's truck. Liberty Delight Farms.
This guy is a hero of mine. He's a farmer. He loves what he does and cares about it. I've been to his farm in Reisterstown Maryland and seen how he treats his animals. They're happy animals and they taste like they lived good lives. The website is www.libertydelightfarms.com
You can order online, or just go to the stand at Rockville on Saturday, and on Sunday at both Bethesda and Mosaic District.  If you do, you've got a good chance of meeting Shane. Take the time to chat with him. It's good to know your farmer. Tell him I said to stop by and say hello.

 Here's a list of some of the products he carries.
Today I grabbed some skirt steaks, bacon, and sausage. Everything he sells is processed in FDA-approved facilities, vacuum packed, and frozen. You throw the package in a sink of cold water for 1/2 an hour and it's thawed. Ready for the grill/oven or whatever else you've got in mind. His steaks are so good that if you do your job and cook them right they'll bring a tear to your eye.
 There are lots of vendors there with fresh fruits and vegetables as well as flowers.
 Here's me and Alex with Mitch Berliner. 
He's a colorful fellow who happens to own the MeatCrafters operation. They make all kinds of charcuterie. Good stuff. He also happens to own the Central Farm Market concept. He's a good guy and you'll always find him there. 
 Did I mention the mushroom vendor? These looked fabulous!
 
 The artisan cheeses Stoneyman Gourmet are incredible.

And then...to the grill with me for dinner. I rubbed one of the skirt steaks with spices and grilled it for about 10 minutes along with some corn. The salad is from one of the purveyors at the market as well. I rubbed that with a little mayo, tossed on a little fresh-cracked black pepper and some shredded parm.
Nice meal and a nice way to end the holiday weekend.
Thanks for reading...as always, comments, questions and rude remarks are welcome.

No comments: