Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Food, Wine & Co…and chef.

Food, Wine and Co.
7272 Wisconsin Avenue Bethesda, MD 20814
4/20/12
  
There are some very unusual things about Food, Wine & Co.  No. 1 on the list is the chef, Michael Harr.  Michael and I have known each other since his days at Butterfield 9. That, in and of itself, isn't strange.  What's strange is that he doesn't like having his picture taken, he's missing the ego.  He likes keeping a low-profile. I'm a pesky blogger, so I took it anyhow.
What else is strange?  Is it the smooth bar with the stools lined up straight?
The wine room and it's big collection of bottles?
The kitchen where everything is lined up just right?
The hand-cranked meat slicer that looks like it just came out of the box?
IMG_7054 (1280x960)
The silverware lined up in an alternating pattern?
It's actually all of these things put together that is strange.  This place looks brand new.  I know they're busy and I know they opened years ago, but they keep it in pristine condition.  That bodes well for the food.
This was my truffle burger with truffled cheese and mayo with a Parmesan crisp.  The burger was excellent as I am a truffle whore.  Just to get it out of the way, the one thing that didn't work was the Parmesan crisp.  It wasn't crisp, it was hard.  Not a big deal and the only flaw of the meal. 
My dining companion had the soft shell crab.  This crab was treated with the lightness and respect due to such a lovely bug.  Very lightly seasoned and quickly sauteed.  The flavor of the ocean came through as it should.
Garlic potato crisps with parm were light and crunchy.
The dessert was the winner of the week as far as tasty restaurant dishes go.  No, it is not lost on me that I was here on 4/20, but I promise you there was none of that going on.
The bomb is a Chocolate gianduja, dulce de leche, hazelnut dacquoise, zinfandel macerated cherry.
Chef Harr, well done.  I look forward to seeing what else is up the sleeve of your chef's coat soon.

Thanks for reading folks.
Food Wine & Co on Urbanspoon

No comments: