Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sunday Gumbo Is Mighty Fine...

Sundays are good days around the Smelson household for the most part. We like to hang out, do some grocery shopping, and make something that takes a while. Or at least I like to cook something that takes a while and my family likes to eat it. This Sunday we were shopping at the new Harris Teeter on Rockville Pike, (very nice store) and I was hit by the gumbo bug.
You start out with a 1/2 stick of unsalted butter and a 1/4 cup of flour. I like to cook it in my trusty cast iron Dutch oven. Put the heat on low and stir extremely frequently. If you don't you'll burn your roux and have to start over.

Stir with one hand whilst you chop with your other...just kidding. Pay attention to one thing at a time when you're playing with knives. Anyhow, dice two large green peppers;

1/2 pound of okra, about 6 cloves of garlic, and one large onion.


After you've got the prep done for the veggies, you can start cooking the meats you're going to throw in the pot. This is a personal thing and gumbo can be made with just about any leftovers you have in the fridge, but I like to use lots of Andouille, smoked if I can get it.

Don't forget about your roux! It takes me about 45 minutes to get it to the color of peanut butter.

Once you've got that color, throw in the diced onions and garlic. Keep stirring.
How about some shrimp in there?!

Put the green peppers and okra in once the onions and garlic have browned up a bit.


This is what it should look like just before you put in the liquid. I use 3-4 cups of a good beef broth.
Once you've added the liquid, throw in a few bay leaves and a pinch or two of cayenne. If you've got it, some Prudhomme Gumbo File doesn't hurt either. The sauce will darken and thicken. It's ok to cover this and leave it on the stove on low for a few hours to let the flavors meld.


This is the finished product. Serve it over white rice with a good crusty loaf of bread an you've got a Sunday great.
Questions? Comments? Rude remarks? I'm all ears.
Until next time...keep eatin'.



































2 comments:

Michael Palmer said...

Bam! It was a first class Gumbo experience. Thanks for the invite

Texas Travelers said...

I came over from Michael Palmer's blog. I also like to cook and will give this basic recipe a try tonight.

I like your blog and am going to add it to my "cooking and gardening blogroll"

I'll be back and explore some more.

Thanks for sharing.

That was a nice looking turkey over at Michaels.

Troy