Tuesday, November 1, 2011

District Taco...sounds better than Northern Virginia Taco, doesn't it?

District Taco 5723 Lee Highway, Arlington VA 10.30.11
You never know what you're going to get when you stop into a local taco joint in NoVa.  Sometimes you get lucky.  This was one of those times.
 I like the fixin's bar.  Everything was fresh and nicely prepared.  I didn't catch a hint of canned anything.  Always nice when you get fresh chopped jalapenos and spicy salsa at no extra charge.
 The menu is simple, but varied.  I want to come back and try the Huevos Rancheros.  A friend of mine had them.  He said they were fiery and kept him sweating for a while after he finished.  I'll be back to give them a shot.
 I ended up with a Burrito Mojado with pork.  It was spicy enough to make it interesting, but naturally I slathered it with their hot home-made salsa after I took this picture.  The decor is sparse, and the music is varied, but definitely Mexican.
 Nicely chopped.  Obviously not coming from a can.
 You can get Cerveza!  Ice cold.
 This is one of my favorite trends in the local fast-casual scene.  Boyland's Soda Machines.  I don't know about you, but real Birch Beer takes me back to days of $.25 bottles out of a machine.
Recycled napkins?  Check.  Compostable food containers?  Check.  Free Wifi?  Check.  Supporting other local merchants like M.E. Swing Coffee?  Two points for that one.

All-in-all, a nice concept with good food.  I think these folks will be rolling out a few more and I hope they jump the river over into my neck of the woods.  Until then, looks like I'll have to cross over to try the Huevos.  See you soon guys.

No comments: